28 April, 2009

Some pictures around our place.

So I went out yesterday and was looking over the couple of spots that my FIL had tilled up for me. I needed this done to plant the blueberries, blackberries and the grapes. I still don't know for sure where I am going to put the blackberries yet, but I have an idea.



I realize that they are way to close together, but at least the ground is broke. I also know that the grass should have been cut super low, than raked up. So I am thinking that we are going to have to have him come back over and do it again, so that the ground is turned over.

It is hard to tell but there are actually 4 plots here.
Thomas and Aric were raking the tops off of these beds.


Here is the start of our orchard, but after looking over at Lisa's blog I see that I need to do the bottom of these trees differently. We just made a big circle around the bases and left them. I did get this mulch mat while we were up in KY and I put it around the plum tree in the front yard, so I might see if I can find more of those locally. If not I will get them up there next month.

We have several different apple, plum, pear, and peach trees out in the orchard. I think one of my peach trees didn't make it through that last frost though. I have thought that I would add more trees next year, but we'll see.

Here you can see what I was cutting, and how much more I have to do. Somewhere down there in the left corner is a pole and a dirt road, that is the edge of our field, the large trees are our wooded area.


This is where the grapes are going and behind that is the garden, I am going to ask a neighbor to come turn this over because it is just too wet to use the walk behind tiller on.

2 comments:

aimee said...

What a beautiful place God has blessed you with!! TY so much for posting some photos:)
We just had a circle around our fruit trees too--well except for the four that are in landscaped areas. It's difficult to mow the grass around them as you tend to have ‘close encounters’ with the branches of the fruit tree! Not a fun thing. I like the idea of a tree ring that was on the blog you linked to-that may work for us! Thanks for sharing.
What is a mulch mat? I’ve never heard of one before.
Your photos of the kids are too cute!!
Blessings, Aimee
PS: Good luck in your gardening--looks like you're off to a great start!

Lisa said...

Wow! Thanks for stopping by my little blog! I had the same problem that Aimee mentioned about mowing near the trees! It was expensive to put in the rings, but they will last forever, so it was worth it!

You have a beautiful bit of earth to tend!