29 January, 2009

He's coming home

I can't believe that the month is almost over, yeah! We will be picking Richard up on Sunday at the airport a little later than originally planned. They are having some type of graduation ceremony and are requiring that everyone stay until at least noon. So that will put him in about 5 hours later.

I can't wait to see him, he should be able to be home for the week, since he has drill at the end of the week and is also going to make up January's drill. But then the following week we will send him back to really work and it will probably be the end of the month before he's home again. Bummer.

We have been cleaning and decluttering a bunch, but wow do we have a LOOOONG way to go. And I have come to the conclusion that not a single male member of this family needs clothing. My goodness I could open a store. But instead I am planning on a .50 cent yard sale, I will sell everything for that .50 cents. I think that I should make a good bit of money.

I really would love to go to IKEA when we take him back to Atlanta, but I have a feeling that it will just be me and the children. But hey if I can bring home something to help get us on an organized track the yahooo.

I just can't wait till Sunday!

2 comments:

Trixi said...

That month did fly by. They usually do. I am so glad you will have him homes for a while.

Unknown said...

WooHoo :o)

Remember, I've seen Richard in action when he's home. Let him head into bedrooms and collect for the yard sale. Bag it and take it immediately out to the storage building, no waiting, nothing. If it needs washing, wash it in town at the laundrymat, not at home -- otherwise you or the boys will start convincing yourselves you still need this or that. You don't.
The only way it will work is to *bag it* immediately and get it *out* ASAP!
One room for the dining room table, the books/shelves, and a couple small tubs of organized/divided toys; one room for their beds and those trunks of personal items they each have until they lose that by keeping it torn apart; your bedroom is off limits, period. It's essentially a girl's only room :o) Then the living room...not sure what to do with that one yet :o)

Empty the bathroom and the laundry room areas, too. Pick out a good, going to town/church outfit, give them their daily underclothes change, maybe 2 pairs of pjs, then no more than 2 outfits for daily wear PERIOD.
They can always work back up to more if you feel that isn't enough, but it's out of control now, same as it is here. the children here each have 4 outfits and it's too much for most of them to keep up with. I feel like there is a never-ending supply of laundry no matter what we do :o( It's no good. It makes for a mess in the house and they don't seem to care. That to me is a loss of privilege for those extra clothes. Once they adjust to knowing it's a done deal, they'll appreciate the extras that much more.
It's not depriving them in any way. They are on choice overload and can't manage it. They need help in calming those choices, and you have to get control of that house. You are the adult and CEO...get to those executive decisions :o) They'll come around if you are 150% consistent, then you can work in one outfit here or there. It will give you time to plan out where this or that is going, too.
Love ya,
Deanna