09 January, 2009

ordering fruit trees, bushes, vines

I stopped in at our county extension office yesterday to get some information on what are the best things to grow here, in regards to fruit trees. I am really wanting to plant apple trees, a few types of berries, and other fruit trees.

We eat a lot of fresh fruit and cobblers.

So our extension office, well I really think that all of them in AL have a fruit, nut and tree sale every year. The prices seems to be pretty good, but the best part is that these plants are in the ground growing in northern AL. When it is time they will go scoop them out of the ground wrap the roots and send them to each office for pick-up.

Not trees in buckets or pots, so I would think that they would be healthier for that. Now I just need to figure out what I want, how much to get and where to plant them.

I would love to have 6 apple trees, 3 peaches, 2 pear, several blackberry, blueberries and some strawberries-but they may not do well up here. I am thinking that grapes would be interesting to try, because we eat A LOT of them. I would also like to get a nice tree to put in the front yard to help shade the house in the summer, but I don't know what I really want. I intend to keep looking.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello!

Unknown said...

You know, I never thought to check with the extension office! {smacking myself in the forhead!}

of course! I'll plan a trip there next week. Just what I need to get the ball rolling on the spring plans . . .