14 January, 2009

Army life

Burrrrr, it is cold here tonight, I can't imagine what it must be like in Boston. He says that his room is comfortable when he goes to bed but by morning it is really cold. Old buildings and heating systems, when he first got there and a bad storm was supposed to go through he was telling me that there are generators but they will only last for about an hour and there wasn't really any emergency food or even extra water. Lovely to hear this about an Army instillation, but what it really is, is a training place for the Reserves and National Guard. So most of it has been decommissioned from what it used to be.

So, Richard is up in Boston, getting training in a new MOS, so that he can possible go to the big sand box later this year. But that may not happen, or perhaps it will, just not with his unit. So much of military life is up in the air. As soon as he knows more, I will be able to adjust accordingly.

I can say that I don't really think that I was looking forward to this deployment in the least. I have gotten used to being able to talk to him when ever I wanted to during the day, and apparently so had Rachel. She was so moppy at the beinning of the week that I thought it was because we didn't get to talk to him. But I now no it is also because she has a bad cold and a double ear infection, poor baby. Worse part is I think that two more are coming down with it as well. But now this having to wait and see or if they will even give him and answer is frustrating.

The crazy part is I am willing to deal with this type of stuff on a much more regular basis if it would give us more family time together. I would love to see him go Active Army, because we might be able to see each other everyday. But it could also mean that he would deploy again right away and we wouldn't see him for a year or more. I am in constant prayer over what He would have us do. I do worry that the boys know their Dad, Thomas will be 12 this year and before long he will be done with his schooling and off doing what the Lord would have him. Then Aric and Noah just as soon as they can say I have done what you requested.

Well, my sister just found out today that they will be going to Germany!!!! She is excited and very nervous to say the least, the last time she was over there she was like 6. She has so much to do and a little over a month to get it all done in. I am not sure if Nick knew or if she was the one to tell him, the SGT's at AIT have been telling everyone to keep checking their email to see, but they wouldn't be saying anything, until they actually had orders to give them. So because of that she found out first thing this morning.

We are praying that they will get to travel as a family but I am just not really seeing that happening. But I know that she will manage traveling with her two children, and what they need to take with them.

Oh how I wish that I could afford to take all of the children to see Aunt Sara while she is over in Germany. I miss it over there. What I remember of it, it is so different than here in the US. Well I should say that it is from where I am from back in FL. Around here it is probably a lot like Germany, except we are spread out so much more.

When we were over we lived on the economy, which means that we lived in a German town with mostly German neighbors, there were a few other Americans in our town and some of the other villages. But it is just so different over there. A much more laid back pace of life, yes they work hard and get things done. But they also value family and that time together. Most often you have two generations living in one house.

Mom and Dad have already said that they will come and visit her, which is wonderful, because I know that they both miss it over there also. Seems like this year would be a great time to go with or without that fact of Sara being there as they will celebrate their 25th wedding anniversary. Wow I can't believe that they have been married that long, well actually both sets of my parents will celebrate their 25th, Mom & Dad got married in June, and Dad and Nancy got married in Nov. I think that I am getting old.

But what a great gift that would be to go back over there, they will probably go in winter. That way there won't be as much going on with the farm as in the spring or summer.

Praying all the way round tonight/this morning that the Lord's will be done for all of our families. That He is the soverign strength that each of us need to look to when we are in doubt. God Bless.

No comments: