30 December, 2008

Our lifestyle

eWe are a very unique family. I wear only dresses/shirts, wear a head covering, dress the boys in a very modest style, Rachel is already in dresses and a covering-which she waits for when it is time to get dressed
.
And yet my husband is in the Army. Most Plain communities would not welcome us because of that. But I have an online friend who is living the way that we hope to, that also feel that being in the military is not a bad thing.

Which is good since at least three of the boys say they want to go into Air Force or Army.
I personally feel that serving your country is a very good thing. I also feel that it is a good job. No you will not get rich in the military, but you will /should always have a home, benefits, a steady income. It is also a good way to go on to college if that is something that you want.

We are raising our children to step back from the world. To look at it in a much different way than most people do.

My Grandmother, my Mom and I were talking about being conservative on Christmas day. She mentioned that she had watched the Duggar show where they went to a movie. She could not understand how a family that conservative, would be at the movies any movie. But then add to the fact that it was an R rated one and well that just sent her over the top. Why she kept asking? I don't know, I do know that all of my friends watch movies and they are all conservative. A few of them even know the Duggar's. We watch movies, in our home. Not as much as we used to. There are something that the children are not allowed to see. We are getting better at what we watch overall. We do still have satelight, not sure how long I will be keeping it on, because we really don't watch it. I was watching the Duggar's and other shows about large families, but what I should be doing is focusing on my own.

We've had some really fun nights the past couple of weeks were we just sit here and sing out of the hymnals. I do wish that one of them would pick up playing the piano again. We've played baord games. Tonight once the little once had gone to bed the three older boys played go fish, only to realize that there are a LOT of cards missing from the deck that they were using.

Which brings me back to Grandma, this would also be a bad thing that we are playing cards, when I tried to tell her that one of our favorite games is Dutch Blitz and that I get it in a horse and buggy Amish store, well I thought that her eyes were going to come clean out of her head. This game is solitare without the face cards in it. She had never heard of the game.

So I think that the thing for me is next time I see her I need to remind her that we are, all of us(my friends, & the Duggar's) first generation conservative Christians.
We grew up one way and are trying to raise our children in a completely different way. And it is hard. But everyday we learn a new way to let go of something that we probably shouldn't have, or dealing with that item in a way that is God honoring.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Beautiful thoughts, Debi.

Beautiful family.

I support your choice to follow your heart's desire in how you wish to raise your family. Even though our family expresses itself differently, we, too consider ourselves conservative.

May we all be mindful to reflect His love, in the various ways in which we raise our children. :)