19 March, 2009

general update

Baby Bryce went home with his Mom & Dad on Sunday! Marmee(Mary) was enjoying some snuggle time with him Mon morning while Heather was still sleeping.

I ordered a 12x16 lofted barn for all of our storage needs. It should be here by the end of the month. Then we get to make several trips into town to empty the garage stall we've been renting.
The goal here is to downsize until all I need it the lofted part and then turn the barn into our little school house. YEAH!!!! I might even paint it red. We will probably add windows and an A/C unit later.

I am slowly working on getting all of our new fruit trees planted, we've done 1, only 19 more to go. Plus the blackberries, blueberries and grapes.

I asked a neighbor yesterday if he wouldn't mind turning over our garden, and he said yes. Just as soon as he puts his plow on he'd be down to do it. I offered to pay him but he wouldn't hear of that. I am going to now get started on our plants, since I was unsure of how we were going to be getting this garden done I hadn't started anything. We are going to try for a large crop again this year, they are saying that it shouldn't be as hot this year. We shall see.

I am going to order our chickens next week, 50 of them total-40 hens & 10 roosters. Thomas is chopping down smaller trees to build a new chicken coop for me, he has is all drawn out and knows in his mind what he wants, but is already finding it to be a lot of work. We may just have to build a smaller coop with store bought lumber for now and then use that building for something else later.

The septic tank has been emptied, however it looks like it is old enough that when it was put in they never ran a drain field-ya I know, but what can I say this is rural Alabama here. Anyway to get all the proper work we need done, it is looking to be right under $2000.00, there goes that new to us van we were praying for. I suppose the boys could dig an outhouse and we only use the septic for baths.

Our school work is lacking as usual, the weather has gotten really beautiful and after being cooped up all winter they are bursting to be outside. The time change hasn't helped much either, I am at such a loss as to where I am in the day. I HAVE got to get this under control. We have this seasonal little creek that runs on the back side of the barn that they all enjoy playing in. With the rainy weather it all drains down and makes this wonderful creek, but sadly it will be gone all to soon. I pray that someday we have a place with a year round creek, I love the sound of water running over rocks and of course a source of water.

Thomas, Aric and Noah will be competing in 4H Archery this Sat over in Anniston, AL. Should be a fun day that even Richard gets to go with us. We do need to run over to Tupelo today to get a bow string for Thomas's bow. Kim our teacher finally found the left handed bow, but it didn't have the correct string, so I told her that I would get one since she is letting us use these bows at home. She is such a sweet lady too.

We are still uncertain as to what or when Richard will be going to deploy, but we should know a little more next month. He has weapons qualifing, and then a three day paperwork thing at the end of the month. It has a name but I don't remember what it is.

My sister is another step closer to joining her husband in Germany, I believe that they were going to try and leave next Monday, but that has changed. She has an apt up at Redstone to set up her household shipment, then she will get her travel agrangements at that time also. Praying for her as she is a ready to be together as a family, but scared and nervious about leaving Mom and Dad for the next three years. She is their little girl and we all know it. LOL!!!
I also ask for prayers when she does leave as she will be making this flight(I believe that she has said it will be 17 hours) alone with a very head strong 3 year old and a 9 month old.

The boys and I are going to be making a new clothes line soon. I have the lumber, but need to get the bolts, washers and nuts, plus I think that we might need another 4x4. We will be stopping at Lowe's while in Tupelo today.

So that is pretty much everything that has been going on around here for the past week or so. I hope to start more regular posts, but with the gardening season starting I will do my best. I really need to make daily posts with photos of what we are doing in our school work, to help keep myself more accountable. I need a kick in the pants. Feel free to give me one.

Have a blessed day, enjoy the sunshine if it is shinning where you are.

1 comment:

Trixi said...

Oh, Deb, it is shining over here in Central Ms. I love your list of plans. You will be so busy. I hate to see that Richard too is deploying the waiting to know when has to be tough. We know that my honey is leaving May 1st. to go to Hattiesburg for a month of training and then will be leaving some time around the 1st. of June. However, he leaves Sat. for 3 wks. for summer camp. So pretty much after Sat. it will be like he is gone already.KWIM