21 July, 2009

Money troubles

How is it that I can plan everything down on paper so well? But in reality I also end up making a mess. Richard got his first real paycheck last week, I knew what had to be paid, knew how much overage there was.

I had already planned on taking the children to Birmingham for some fun time. Which included Build A Bear, Godiva for me, Chick fil-A for lunch, and that at another location Barnes and Nobel, Franklin Covey-for me, and looking around Pottery Barn Kids and The Apple store. So I took out the set amount and spent all of it and a little over not to bad, I wasn't concerned.

The next day I went about paying the bills that needed to be paid, yes I know I should have paid them first. Anyway we went to town to Walmart, to get some things for school, paint for the dining room and groceries. Here again lies a problem, I spent too much on school stuff that could have waited till the end of the month, and I have since learned that Alabama will be having tax free school days this year, so school stuff really could have and probably should have been put back. I had been in the store for over 2 hours, I know everything in my Walmart-there is no reason to spend that much time in there unless I am getting two carts full of food.

Then we wake to Wed, and finally catch Richard on line, guess what, he let's me know that he took out money a lot more money then I remember ever talking about, so much money in fact that I shouldn't have gone to Birmingham. Ugggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg how many g's can I put there?

So now I sit here with no money for the next 10 days, had to borrow Matthew's birthday money to put gas in the van and I feel like a fool. I love my husband very much, but why does it always seem that when ever I try to treat myself to something nice, anything nice it blows up in my face and I feel guilty for doing it?

I was going to go to a spa that is in a really nice hotel at the end of the month, get a message, a facial and just have a dat to myself, let grandma and papa have the children. But I can see now that I won't be doing that this month or any month.

I am just going to pay the bills, get groceries, and what school stuff I need, and make sure that there is always money there for Richard should he need it.

7 comments:

Deanna said...

Well, you know how we are with money and bill scheduling. Everything always looks good on paper, but sometimes the practical application isn't always the same.

You had a nice family day. School stuff could have waited, sure, but it's not the end of the world. You have paint to occupy your time, and a fresh new look with all your remodeling and freshening up. The boys have plenty of schooling to keep them busy. Being home for 10 days isn't that bad :o)

Maybe you need to set up another account and set aside a designated amount of money for Richard to get when he needs it. We had to do that with Dewey being in Arkansas. Two people not living day to day in the same house, dealing with the bills and other money needs, just can't both use one account. Something is bound to happen, like this.

Relax and enjoy the time at home. Don't think of it as being some sort of punishment. Think of it as God giving you some quiet home time :o)

Deanna

Lisa said...

So sorry this happened!! But as Deanna said, it does (and will) when both people accessing the account don't live at the same place or in the same time zone!

Maybe, instead of going to the spa, you could still send the kids to the g-parents and have a day just for yourself. Some window shopping, spending more time in the stores you like, or going to a matinee with some home-made popcorn?

Deanna said...

What a great idea, Lisa.

What about your own Home Spa day? A good long sleep, a soak in the tub with some special scents and soaps, prepare a big Cobb Salad or something you particularly enjoy, prepared ahead of time waiting for you?

Richard is going to be over there playing Army for a while. You don't have to rush everything now -- you'll enjoy the peace and break just as much later on. You can plan now and set aside some money to make the day all the more special and anticipated later. Mother's Day? Valentine's Day?

LOL...and you can take me along :o)
I'm kidding!

Deanna

Ace said...

Hello! I have found something that works for me...

When I have goals I would like to achieve (such as a spa day like you talked about or a splurge like you said of your fun day with the kids) I do a kind of savings account for it. Not a real one, mind you, but I pay all expenses FIRST, always, and I let The General (my Husband) know the financial situation right away (how much we paid, what is in the account and what I would like to save towards) this way we both know what is in the bank and why. We will then remove the cash and put it away somewhere (like in an envelope) and I will simply add to it every month until I have the amount I want. To speed this up, I economize in other areas that don't mean so much. For instance, my kids don't care if a toy is new or not, so we get those at garage sales, this way if I cannot find a book I really want used I can use that money to purchase it new. I don't buy coffee or other drinks away from home, I use that towards something fun. If we go somewhere, we eat first, then leave and take snacks with us as food out is a huge cost. That way we can use that money to add to our stash.

For large purchases such as the school stuff, I shop and plan that. Check sales, check online and if I make a mistake I return it or take the receipt back and ask the manager to give me a refund for the difference of the sale that I missed (many stores offer this up to almost two weeks).

Keep trying to make this a skill for you and you will get better and better at it.

Many Blessings :)
Ace

Sara said...

Hey Sweetie,

I know all too well what you mean. My hubby has done this severl times in the past. He would talk to me about using a set amount of money and then end up spending more. Especially if he is away from home. For example, the recent trip home.....he had a set amount to spend.....but of course ended up spending more. His problem is that he doesn't keep up with what he's spending. You know those 4 and 5 dollar stops at gas stations, or lunch out add up quickly. Most of the time he just doesn't realize he's already spent that much untill it's too late. Anyways, for the advice....I would agree with Deanna. And would add that you had that idea yourself too. Maybe it's time to implement it. I love you sis, and hope it all works out. Oh...and by all means...do the spa day at home...it is still relaxing to me to just have a day away from the kids. Hugs and Kisses

Trixi said...

Oh, Debi, I so know how you feel with this. The same thing happened with us when Ronnie was training in Hattiesburg. It can be so disheartening.
I will tell you that Ronnie's 2nd or 3rd check in Irag was about $600.00 more than normal. That helped us get out of a hole. Also, is Richard using the Kiosk card. Ronnie has a card that he takes whatever amount out of our band and puts on his card. Now, when he first got there he spent alot. I mean like several hundred dollars lot. He bought a sattelite phone, a refrigerator, a crockpot, and a coffee pot from the guys going home. However, now he just takes out $50.00 every 1st and 15th to put on his Kiosk card. When he was there 4 years ago he only spent like $20.00 a month. This time they have a PX so he can actually buy things so he is spending a little more but it's no big deal now that we have almost 2 months behind us and are on more of a schedule.
In a couple of months this will be a distant memory and you will be on a good track. Let me know if you need anything.
Trixi

FRUGAL DAYCARE MOM said...

Hang in there. It is so easy to feel guilty about doing things for ourselves. I know it because I deal with it. And money is just an ugly thing let me tell you. Even more so when there just never seems to be enough. I hope you get over the hump fast! If it makes you feel any better, money is so tight with beloved being unemployed we can't spend anything for the next two weeks either, we can fight this fight together!